Accident with a Drunk Driver – What to Do

car accident with drunk driver

car accident with drunk driverAbingdon, Bristol and Johnson City

Drunk driving is a serious problem in the United States. We are all warned about the dangers of drinking and driving and to be cautious of other drivers. There are many questions regarding what to do if you get into an accident with a drunk driver. The Law Offices of Michael R. Munsey, P.C. can answer these questions for you. We have provided some important tips to help answer your questions and ensure that you get everything you are entitled if you are ever in an accident with a drunk driver.

Statistics about Drunk Driving

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, back in 2010, an estimated 4 million U.S. adult respondents reported at least one episode of alcohol-impaired driving, for an estimated total of approximately 112 million alcohol-impaired driving episodes or 479 episodes per 1,000 adult population. The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security reports 6,290 automobile crashes that were known to be alcohol and drug-related. Drug-related crashes are also on the increase and fall under the “drunk driving” category.

What to do if you are in an Accident with a Drunk Driver

If you are in an accident with a drunk driver, there are several important things you should do to ensure your safety and legally protected.

Be sure to do the following:

  • Remain calm, assess dangers, and keep yourself and others safe
  • Call 911 immediately
  • Do not make any statements of apology or admissions of fault at the scene
  • Seek medical treatment as soon as possible and keep a record of all subsequent medical treatment costs
  • Take photographs and/or video of the damaged vehicles and crash scene
  • Obtain and record information about the drunk driver and occupants of the other vehicle(s)
  • Obtain a copy of the police report
  • Identify and obtain contact information of all witnesses, if possible
  • Contact and report the accident to both insurance companies
  • Contact an experienced personal injury attorney

What am I Entitled to if I am in an Accident with a Drunk Driver?

Driving drunk is a deliberate act that puts everyone that the drunk driver comes in contact with at risk, including property. Even though drunk driving and driving while under the influence of drugs is a criminal matter, victims are entitled to certain civil damages. You are entitled to compensation for your medical bills and pain and suffering if you are a victim of a drunk driver. A drunk driving accident could also result in payment for punitive damages due to the extent of the negligence. Your Abingdon personal injury attorney can discuss these matters with you in detail during your consultation.

Personal Injury Attorney in Abingdon and Johnson City

There is nothing that you can do about other drivers. Always be cautious and careful when driving, especially at night. Always wear your seatbelt and make sure that your automobile is safely maintained. If you are in an accident with a drunk driver, follow the steps we advise above, which includes contacting your personal injury attorney by calling (276) 451-2056 to schedule a free consultation.

The Law Offices of Michael R. Munsey, P.C., are proud to serve clients in Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City, TN, as well as Bristol, VA.