workers compensationAbingdon, Bristol and Johnson City

Filing a workers’ compensation claim can be tricky, but at the Law Offices of Michael R. Munsey, we understand the ins and outs used by employers and insurance companies so that we can help you receive the full benefits that you deserve.

I was hurt on the job, what do I do?

If you were hurt on the job, there are important factors regarding workers’ compensation that you need to know.

  • Report injury to your employer within 30 days of being injured or within 30 days of visiting the doctor regarding the incident. The quicker you report your injury, the quicker you will receive benefits.
  • Upon filing your report, your employer should provide you with 3 doctors (4 if it is a back injury) who work with workers’ compensation. The doctor will determine if your injury was due to a work-related accident.
  • If the doctor determines that your injury is due to a work-related accident, you may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits. However, if the doctor deems your injury not related to work, you may seek a second opinion regarding the matter.
  • If you become injured at work, it is illegal for your employer to fire you based on your injury.

Does my employer have workers’ compensation insurance?

The law requires any employer with more than 5 employees must offer workers’ compensation benefits to both their full-time and part-time employees. The only exception to this law are coal mining and construction companies; they are required to carry this coverage regardless of the number of employees that they have.

If you are injured on the job, it is well within your rights to file a workers’ compensation claim. Your employer is likely to have coverage, but you can always double check to make sure.

At the Law Offices of Michael R. Munsey, we have decades of experience filing claims and appeals for workers’ compensation benefits. If you need assistance in filing a claim or an appeal or feel that your claim has been undervalued, contact our office by calling (276) 451-2056 to schedule a consultation.

Representing the injured and disabled for more than 30 years, the Law Offices of Michael R. Munsey proudly serves Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport, TN, as well as Bristol, VA.